These are the same pots as the previous post. I wasn't happy with the flatness of the colour so i decided to try them out in the last Raku firing that I did. I'm really pleased with the results, it has given them much more depth of colour. They were fired to about 950 and then reduced in sawdust. Because of the previous stoneware firing (1250) the clay was less porous where there was no glaze and has given them a fantastic metallic look (on the base). I had a comment that they looked like something from middle earth (Lord of the rings). A good result. I hope I can transfer this test into my current work somehow
Sunday, 6 February 2011
Manganese, Iron & Cobalt
These are some Volcanic glaze tests. They didn't look as exciting as I was expecting - the colours are kind of flat in appearance and not as volcanic as I had hoped for. I need to apply the glaze thicker.
I love the look of these wet pots but they were absolutely horrible to throw! I have no nails left and my hands are raw! These were made from chunky black clay (black when fired) I've decided to make a slip from this and try painting it onto a smoother clay - maybe a stoneware which is a lot nicer to throw and a quarter of the price!
This is the press mould bowl with the thrown pots joined on. they were slightly too dry when I got to join them so are not quite so 'squashed' as I would have liked. I carved the rim of the big dish back with a surform blade when it was quite dry and it has given it a lovely worn rounded edge